Thursday, June 7, 2012

Sesame Seed Chocolate Chip Cookies


I made the most delightful mistake while making these cookies.

I finished beating the eggs, sugar, vanilla and soy sauce. Yes, soy sauce. You read that correctly.

I removed the beaters from the mixer and licked them. It's one of my favorite parts of baking.


Then, I read the next section of the recipe: Combine the egg/sugar mixture and the flour mixture. Mix on low speed until the flour is incorporated.

Oops. Kind of. Sure I had to wash the beaters, but then I got to put them back on, blend up the cookie dough, and then remove the beaters and lick them again.

It was exactly the kind of mistake I love. It was much better then the time I left the six tablespoons of butter out of my rhubarb muffins. Six tablespoons of butter split between 10 muffins makes a HUGE difference. There's a reason you haven't seen those muffins on here. :)


Often when I make chocolate chip cookies, I love the cookie dough and eat a ton of it, and I maybe eat one cookie once they're cooked. This twist on the chocolate chip cookie is different. Yes, the dough is incredible. I ate plenty of it. I don't worry about the raw eggs. I savored every bite.

But when the cookies came out of the oven, they just called to me. With the early summer weather we have now, the chocolate chips stayed soft, and they almost melt into the rest of the cookie. The cookie is a bit saltier than most, thanks to the addition of the soy sauce, and the black sesame seeds add a nice crunch to each bite. I've had several and had to bring them to a work meeting so I wouldn't continue snacking.


If you make these, make the same mistake I did. You'll be glad.




Sesame Seed Chocolate Chip Cookies
recipe adapted from Joy the Baker

I got about two dozen cookies out of this, with about 1 1/2 tablespoons of cookie dough in each, and I got a lot of snacking enjoyment.


Ingredients
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon soy sauce
2 tablespoons black sesame seeds
1 1/3 cups dark chocolate chips
 about 1/4 cup black sesame seeds, for rolling the cookies before baking

In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt. Whisk well.

In a separate bowl, beat together the butter and sugars until the mixture is light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, and then add the egg and egg yolk. Beat the mixture on medium speed until the mixture is fluffy, about two minutes. Beat in the vanilla and the soy sauce.

(Remove the beater from the mixer. Lick it. Wash it. Replace it.)

Add the flour mixture all at once to the butter/egg mixture. Beat on low speed until the flour is just combined.

(Remove the beater from the mixer. Lick it. Wash it.)

Add the sesame seeds and chocolate chunks, folding together with a spatula until the mixture is well combined. 

Cover the dough with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 45 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Fill a small bowl with 1/4 cup black sesame seeds. Scoop the cookie dough in 1 1/2 tablespoon scoops, and roll into a ball. Roll the cookie dough around in the sesame seeds.

Place on ungreased cookie sheets (use parchment paper if you have it). Bake the cookies for 9 to 12 minutes, until they are lightly browned around the edges. Remove from the oven, and allow the cookies to cool for about 3 minutes. Remove from the cookie sheet and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

Cookies will last for a few days (not much longer because of the oils in the sesame seeds). 

6 comments:

  1. I love the look of these cookies. I think I would love the taste of them even more. I think I need to add black sesame seeds to my grocery list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been hard for me to keep from eating them. I was lucky to find some black sesame seeds in my pantry. Yum!

      Delete
  2. I love the way they look! I'll give them a try...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think it dresses up the typical chocolate chip cookie a bit.

      Delete
  3. I just made my old stand by cookies and now I wish I made these. Where did you get that stinkin' cute plate?

    mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are great as long as you can eat them up quickly. I got the plate from a local thrift store. It was only 99 cents!

      Delete