Thursday, March 22, 2012

Salted Brown Butter Crispy Bars with Samoas


I didn't like rice crispy treats much as a kid, probably because they were missing chocolate. And because most of the rice crispies I had were the pre-packaged, factory-made kind.

I probably hadn't had one in years, and I certainly hadn't missed them.


I should have just left it at that. I should have known better.

Because now that I've experienced these brown butter rice crispy treats, I'm addicted. I've had four rice crispy bars in the past two days alone.


I started with brown butter, which gave the bars a nice, nutty flavor. A pinch of sea salt creates that perfect contrast between sweet and salt.

I should have stopped there.


But, there were Girl Scout Samoa cookies sitting on my dresser, just calling my name. I opened the package and started chopping.

I lined the bottom of the pan with the rice crispy mixture, and then I topped it with a generous layer of chopped Samoa cookies. That received another layer of rice crispy mixture, followed by a final layer of Samoa cookies.


They're to die for. Each bite has a bit of sugar, a bit of salt, and some coconut and chocolate thrown in for good measure.

Be warned.

And, be sure to visit Deseret News to see their post about 30 different ways to bake with Girl Scout cookies, which includes this treat!


Salted Brown Butter Crispy Bars with Samoas
recipe adapted from Smitten Kitchen

The Samoa cookies are absolutely divine in these bars. I wasn't certainly how I'd feel about them, so I initially only put them in half the batch, and I left the other half plain. Next time, I'll go all out and just cover the crispy bars with Samoas!

Ingredients:
8 tablespoons (one stick) unsalted butter
1 10-ounce bag marshmallows
1/4 teaspoon coarse sea salt
6 cups crispy rice cereal
Optional: 10 Samoa Cookies (Girl Scout Cookies)

Generously butter an 8-inch square pan with two-inch sides.

Roughly chop 10 Samoa cookies (if using). Place crispy rice cereal into a large bowl.

In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium-low heat. Cook, stirring regularly, until the butter begins to turn golden brown and has a nutty smell.

As soon as the butter takes on a nutty smell, remove the butter from the heat and add the marshmallows, stirring constantly. The residual heat from the butter may be enough to melt the marshmallows. If it's not, place the pan back on the burner over low heat and cook, stirring constantly, until the marshmallows are melted.

Pour the marshmallow mixture into the bowl of crispy rice cereal, and add the 1/4 teaspoon of coarse sea salt. Stir the mixture until fully combined.

Then, pour half the mixture into the prepared pan. Pat the marshmallow mixture down until a smooth layer is formed. Top with 1/2 of the chopped Samoa cookies (if using). Repeat, topping with the remaining rice crispy mixture and the remaining Samoa cookies.

Allow the crispy bars to cool completely. Remove them from the pan, slice them into bars, and then serve.

5 comments:

  1. Oh yum, these definitely sound dangerous!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't had rice krispies treats in forever either...but a homemade brown butter girl scout cookie-infused version could lead me to do so. These look amazing!

      Delete
    2. Now I'm determined to figure out what else goes well between layers of crispy bars. Maybe chopped peanut butter cups? I'm sure chopped nuts and dried fruit would be delicious too.

      Delete
  2. I am convinced that brown butter can make anything better. These sound particularly evil - in a heavenly sort of way. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Definitely. Having only half a pan of the Firl Scout variety ended up being a bit of a blessing.

      Delete