Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Day Seven: Sugar Cookies

My first memory is making these cookies. Not for Christmas, mind you. I was at my Grandma's house the night my parents were at the hospital welcoming my little brother into the world. We (most likely Grandma) decided that we would make tiny baskets of sugar cookies to bring to my parents and little brother in the hospital the next day.


I can still picture her round wooden table covered in thinly rolled cookie dough, the tiny cookie cutters slicing in and out of the dough, and the little animals that resulted.

We made tiny paper baskets. Again, I'm sure this was mostly Grandma, but 2 1/2 year old me has very vivid memories of being actively involved in the delicate paper folding process.


The next day, we carried the tiny baskets of cookies to my mom and dad. I was so proud of our creations and so happy to welcome my new little brother.

These sugar cookies always remind me of that night. Everyone has a favorite sugar cookie recipe, and this one, straight from my Grandma's table, will always be mine.





Sugar Cookies
from the kitchen of Grandma Christmas

Ingredients
3 cups sifted all-purpose
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup unsalted butter
2 eggs
1 cup granulated sugar

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Cut butter in. Add beaten eggs and sugar. Blend well.

Roll out cookie dough to 1/8th inch thickness. Cut out desired shapes from cookie dough and transfer to a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 6 to 8 minutes, or until light golden brown. Transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely before frosting.

Ice with your favorite icing (I'm going to have to recreate mine and actually record my ingredient amounts because I generally eyeball it!).

1 comment:

  1. Iced Sugar Cookies are my favorites!! Love the decorations on these, and those little mittens are so cute!

    ReplyDelete