Sunday, July 3, 2011

Baked Sunday Mornings: Blackberry Pie

Baked Sunday Mornings challenged us to bake the Blackberry Pie from Baked Explorations: Classic American Desserts Reinvented for this Sunday's challenge.


I've been making a lot of pies lately, so I wanted to make this one different somehow. I thought about making a tiny pie but I didn't have a tiny pie pan. I searched through the "make me" category in my google reader for a little inspiration.

Stef from Desserts for Breakfast provided just the inspiration I needed. She created these gorgeous blueberry rhubarb deep-dish pies. The pies were baked into small springform pans, which allowed for more filling to be piled in. Plus, if Stef considered her pie breakfast food, I figured mine could be too.


Fourth of July recipes have been all over food blogs recently, so I decided to make my own contribution. After rolling out the top pie crust, I took a star cookie cutter and cut out tiny stars. I layered the stars so that the points were overlapping slightly (a Martha Stewart suggestion). A quick egg wash bound them together, and a sprinkling of raw cane sugar added a bit of crunch to the top.


I was worried the tiny stars might burn since the recipe called for an hour baking time, but they browned beautifully. The juices from the blackberries stayed underneath the stars, so they still look clean. I was delighted with the finished look.

I haven't released the pie from the springform pan or cut into it yet, but I plan to soon. I'll update with more pictures after the big reveal.


Visit Baked Sunday Mornings to view the recipe for this pie and to see all the other blackberry pies baked this week! Consider buying the cookbook and baking along with us!


11 comments:

  1. What a clever way to top a pie. It is unique and wonderful. The pie itself sounds scrumptious. I love blackberries and can't get enough of them.I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea. Your pie is beautiful and I'm impressed that this juicy filling stayed off your stars. Also, this filling needs breathing room to evaporate some of the liquid...maybe the stars helped.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Kris! I hope some of the liquid did evaporate. I haven't cut into the pie yet, but I've been a little nervous reading about everyone's soupy pies! We'll see!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Your pie is so beautiful. I love the idea of the stars.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what a great crust! The little stars make it look so festive and perfect for a July 4th cookout. I love the way you overlapped so many of them. Excellent photos too.

    Have a very happy and safe Fourth of July.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you! The stars were a lot of fun. I've never made a pie crust like this before, so it was nice to try something new!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the stars!! The whole thing looks just wonderfully beautiful and delicious, my fav photo is the last one...wish I had a bite or two of this pie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love, Love, Love the stars!! I may copy your idea, if that's ok. :) I got all my ingredients, but haven't baked my pie yet. SHould do that today!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you! I think the stars were helpful in allowing more of the juice to escape during the cooking process. This pie definitely has a TON of liquid in it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, I am definitely going to do the stars too! Hi Katie, I'm Claudia - I think I am the only non-American who's cooking along with Mary! It's great fun! Look forward to viewing your next post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Claudia! Thanks for visiting! I'm looking forward to cooking along with all of you!

    ReplyDelete